What we can do, in lockdown or not
Being in lockdown is not normal for our wellbeing. So what can we do?
“The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs”-Vance Havner
What a beautiful quote on taking action in our lives to achieve our goals.
As a pediatrician and someone who cares about the health of the population, I find it useful to understand how we can make changes in our lives. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we all struggled to stay healthy both physically and mentally as we were in lockdown. In some parts of the world, lockdowns are still ongoing but in other parts like in the US, we are getting out of lockdown.
So, what can we do, whether in lockdown or not?
One of the important aspects to understand is that being in lockdown is not normal for our well-being. So what can we do?
Here are some action steps I recommend:
1. Stay active whether you are at home or out.
2. Walk, take stairs, play ball with kids.
3. If you can’t walk outside, consider yoga, or indoor games.
4. Set some daily goals, schedule in some activity together.
Set Smart Goals with an example:
1. Specific- adding daily activities such as go outside with kids
2. Measurable - 10 to 15 minutes daily
3. Attainable - part of a healthy lifestyle
4. Relevant - important to prevent illness
5. Time based- set a goal weekly and add 10 minutes more each week.
During these difficult times, take small steps towards health and resilience and take care of yourself one day at a time. Human beings are resilient and have the capacity to make it through the most difficult times. Remember what Helen Keller said:
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.”